CHEKPEDS: Check Up on Far West Side Proposals Tonight
The Clinton Hell’s Kitchen Coalition for Pedestrian Safety (CHEKPEDS) has issued an alert regarding a meeting tonight to review Hudson Yards boulevard and park design proposals.
As part of Mayor Bloomberg’s vision for far West Side redevelopment, the streetscape between 10th and 11th Avenues from 33rd to 42nd Streets is to be transformed with four acres of park space, linking to new commercial and residential high rises. Five designs have been submitted, with the winner to be chosen in October. The Post reports that, according to the Hudson Yards Development Corporation, phase one of the project is scheduled to be completed in 2013.
CHEKPEDS wants to ensure that the finished product addresses neighborhood considerations, such as:
- Will it be mostly for cars or for people?
- Will it be mostly for workers or for residents and neighbors?
- Will it be mostly shaded and green or more like a plaza?
- Will it be open 24 hours a day?
- What should it bring that the neighborhood lacks?
Designs will be on display tonight at 6:30 at Hudson Guild in the Dan Carpenter Room, 441 West 26th St. between 9th & 10th Avenues.
Image via New York Post